Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has revealed he made a failed bid to sign Newcastle United striker Andy Carroll.
Redknapp had been linked with a bid for the England international for couple months prior to the January transfer window opening.
Reports on Wednesday suggested the Spurs boss had followed up his interest by contacting the Magpies to discuss the possibility of a £20m deal being done.
Redknapp has now confirmed he has spoken with opposite number Alan Pardew in the past, but admitted the Toon boss made it clear that Carroll will not be making a move to White Hart Lane or anywhere else.
He told Sky Sports News: “I spoke to Alan Pardew when we played them and he’s got no intention of selling Andy Carroll in this window or selling him at all he said, so that’s a no-goer.”
Meanwhile, Redknapp admitted he is no nearer to knowing if former England captain David Beckham will be joining Spurs on loan from Los Angeles Galaxy.
Redknapp added: “I don't know where that one's at - the chairman's dealing with it and I don't know what the situation is.
“It's such a short-term deal, that's the problem. If it was until the end of the season, it would be great but when you look at it for the short period that it is, it's a difficult one.”