Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish admits he is running out of time in his attempts to strengthen the squad.
The Reds, who improved to seventh in the Premier League with a win over Fulham last night, have so far failed with bids for Ajax striker Luis Suarez and Blackpool midfielder Charlie Adam.
Both clubs have been critical of the offers put to them by the Merseyside giants, with Ajax now setting a Saturday deadline for a deal to be struck for Uruguay international Suarez.
Frank de Boer, manager of the Dutch club, said: “Liverpool know what they have to pay and we are sticking to our guns.
“We want to know by January 29, after that nothing more will happen.”
And Dalglish, who took charge following the departure of Roy Hodgson earlier this month, admits the current transfer window could slam shut next week without any new faces arriving at Anfield.
The 59-year-old Scot said: “The finance is there. Everything is in place but it's difficult to get players out of other clubs at this time.
“If we do not get anyone it is not for the want of trying.”